I am Ramon Llanos. For the past 15 years, my wife and I have lived and raised our two daughters in this community and we proudly call Ferndale Home! Like you, I have seen Ferndale grow and I believe that now, more than ever, our city needs people on City Council that meet 3 crucial requirements:
1. Has the Time to dedicate to this delicate position
2. Is willing to truly hear and serve our community.
3. Has the knowledge, understanding and proven experience to successfully contribute with the real issues: (i.e. growth, traffic, streets, water, sewer, recreation and environmental protection).
..... And I believe I can check all these 3!
MY SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
I am a Professional Civil Engineer with a Master's degree in Civil Engineering from the University of British Columbia, which I obtained in 1992. I have extensive experience in municipal, commercial and residential engineering. My Master’s Degree education focused on project and construction management.
As a licensed Civil Engineer and throughout decades working in the industry, I have proven to excel and successfully fulfill every professional challenge encountered. My record of successful project delivery has demonstrated my thorough knowledge of local, state and federal requirements as well as my ability to manage the projects entrusted to me from start to finish.
Also, as an entrepreneur, I have co-founded and for the past 15 years, successfully run a Ferndale based engineering firm that has provided quality-employment and supports over 10 families as well as important business-synergy throughout our community.
MY ABILITY TO BRING CONSENSUS:
Success in public office is measured by the ability to bring people together to reach consensus on critical issues and that is precisely one of the most important skills that I bring to the table. Whether with the elected officials, city staff, Planning Commission, or City Council, I work well with people because after decades of experience I have learned to listen well and I will listen to you!
I am confident that my experience as a citizen of Ferndale as well as in the private and public sectors will assist in implementing sound policies and making decisions which strengthen Ferndale's local businesses, infrastructure, planning and public services.
MORE THAN WORDS, ACTIONS AND PROVEN RECORD:
As a professional civil engineer with over 30 years of experience under my belt, I have designed numerous projects for the city of Ferndale and I know full well all the issues our city experiences. In addition, on multiple occasions I have provided input to city staff in developing city policies and codes; for example, I provided input in drafting the zero-lot line code, accessory dwelling units (ADU) code, trail sections, the new RMH zoning in the City of Ferndale and solutions to the Ferndale downtown lack of parking. I know our city well and my focus is always safety, health, and quality of life here.
Also, along my many years involved in the infrastructure of the city of Ferndale, I have contributed in various ways with this community:
· In 2008, I pioneered the introduction of road asphalt recycling which has saved the city and County up to 20 % where it was applied.
· In 2010, was instrumental in putting together a deal to save the city of Ferndale about $100,000 in importing 20,000 Yds of soils for the construction of the new Ferndale Public Library.
. In 2010, designed the Haxton Pedestrian Trail, winner of multiple awards.
· Also, I lead the design and managed the construction of the Baseball field for the Tosco Sports Complex.